Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

A Small path to Nepali Cricket


In the mid of 2003, I met some cricketers in TAZ Hotel, Bagbazar, I can still remember some name: Shakti Gauchan, Manjeet Shrestha and Yashwont Subedi. I was there to meet my friend from UK and all of sudden met  some cricketers. I was a reporter, working for Times FM, that's why I acknowledged them. But I never thought that it was my start for a new journey of cricket. Knowing them personally, dragged me to keen on their performance. At that time I knew nothing about cricket. Absolutely not.. But that introduction was well enough for me to draw attention on the beautiful game . I started to follow cricket. And the journey started….
If you want to get involved in cricket first you have to enter men’s ground because it’s a male dominant game.When I had started cricket reporting as a media person in 2003, from the first day of my job i came to know that there’s no women face in cricket ground. That time I was even not much familiar with cricket game and its rules and languages.
Albeit, I decided to enter…but how? I thought scoring will be good idea. I requested to official scorer of Cricket Association of Nepal (MR. Riddhi Bhakta Panta). He helped me lot. Learning days was not easy to me but I never gave up. I avoided poor facilities in the ground. There was no toilet and still many of the cricket grounds are not women friendly not even for women cricketer, scorer and media person. I used to drink very few water to avoid the problem. Besides that poor facilities, I got support from cricketers, Cricket Association of Nepal (CAN), and Umpires which inspired me to keep going. Further more, the support of ground staff was warm that made me feel easy to engage in scoring. I got chance to participate in Umpiring and scoring training in 2004.  I became official scorer in 2004, daily newspaper covered my interview, where I mentioned that women can also play cricket and involved in technical parts, scoring and umpiring.
After three years in my scoring life, finally the women cricket started in Nepal. Then I didn't need to stay inside the ground alone. When first women cricket held in Kathmandu in 2006, I was senior scorer among young women scorers. As I was experienced one, happily played a role of guardian of them.  
Being a first women official scorer of CAN, I got a chance to handle National women cricket team for the first Asian Cricket Council (ACC) women cricket which was held in Malaysia in 2007 . I was assistant manager but I was the only one female official in the team. Going through that tournament I found out some problem which is really challenging. First thing was continuation of women cricket. We were runner up in ACC women cricket that made the country to see a chance of women cricket. I started to get involved in women cricket as well as scoring. The first thing I did personally was getting contact with women cricketer and write about their potentiality and challenges. No official institution for women cricket that means more challenge to save women cricketer. That resulted me to join Regional cricket committee as well as co-ordinate with local coach to promote women cricket.
 My village (Dakshinkali) is 18 kilometers far from the capital, and we have special women cricket training center, where 16 school girls trained in first batch. Now there are good player of u-19 level. Some are engaged with National cricket academy and some are doing training in local level. But all are member of Kathmandu regional women cricket team.
Most of the women cricketers are from the village area and their parents want a woman to lead their daughter on and off the field. So I am doing my job. Nowadays I am less focusing on scoring (now lots of women scorer are in the field) and more on women cricket development. Because I found that developing country like Nepal, cricket can be a source of women empowerment and social change. Now we have positive environment for women cricket. But crisis in cricket administration is also hampering the development of women cricket. 

We need to settle women player’s education problem, manage to train, facilities as well as focus to school girls’ cricket. My plan is to work on these areas in upcoming days. Even though I am a lawyer, my special focus on women cricket will remain same. This year my name was nominated for the ICC Global Award (Women cricket: Behind the scenes) from the Asian region I contribute this achievement to the Nepali Cricketers for up lifting the game without good facilities. The game was there, players was there and that was the reason I was there, I am there, of course I will be there forever...JAY NEPALI CRICKET......

No comments:

Post a Comment